Moving house ranks as one of life's most stressful experiences. To avoid any potential pitfalls, you should concentrate on what needs to be done and when you need to do it using the timetable below to assist.
- One month before the date, finalise the moving date and try to avoid moving during peak times, for example bank holidays or school holidays.
- Hire a reputable removal firm and ensure they offer services such as insurance, storage, etc.
- If storage is needed arrange it now.
- Arrange transit insurance if necessary.
- Make sure your travel plans are in place for the moving day. If you are going some distance it may be necessary to book a hotel.
- Send out change of address cards.
- Collect moving materials such as boxes, tape and rope, remembering padding for fragile items, such as mirrors, etc.
- Notify your landlord if you are moving out of rented accommodation and ensure that you check your tenancy agreement.
- Contact your telephone company to arrange for a reconnection or installation at the next property.
- Inform your utility suppliers that you will be moving to a new property.
- If necessary book time off from work.
- Start sorting out your possessions and throw away or donate to charity any unwanted or surplus items.
- NOW relax and enjoy your new home!