Tel: 01242 246980
£1,250,000 For Sale
Bredons Norton Manor is a wonderful Grade II Listed house with a wealth of history. There has been a dwelling on the site since the Doomsday survey of 1087, although the current building is believed to date from about 1575-1585. Legend suggests that Thomas Copley, a local landowner responsible for the creation of Bredons Norton Manor in its present guise, had an acquaintance with Sir Walter Raleigh, who visited and sat at the long table in the Great Hall. A more recent owner from around the end of the 19th Century, a Mrs Victoria Woodhull Martin, (the first American women to be nominated as the President of the USA) used the property variously as a Horticultural College and a training school for Land Army Girls.
The property was then used as an Anglo American officers base in the Second World War, following that it became a Country House Hotel between 1947 and 1955. In 1956 the property was split into three separate flats, until 1975, when both the previous and subsequently, the current owners set about making it one home again.
The property is presented with the accommodation principally arranged over two floors, with a further attic floor. The focal point of the ground floor is the Great Hall with its heavy panelling, flagstone flooring and huge Inglenook fireplace.
Further panelling is in evidence throughout the house, especially the sitting room, library, drawing room and reception hall, together with many fireplaces, exposed timbers, leaded light windows and superb oak staircase. To the front are lovely westerly countryside views. On the second floor is a range of attic rooms, including two bedrooms and family bathroom, with scope for further accommodation if required.
Outside, the property is approached from the village lane through wrought iron gates via a gravelled driveway (shared by the cottage) leading to the parking area, with a secondary gated access. The gardens have been beautifully landscaped to create a series of 'rooms' divided by yew and box hedging, giving a 'Magical' feel, together with a centred pond, a greenhouse and potting area. There are also several paved terraces in the lower garden immediately to the rear of the house. The side gardens are predominantly laid to lawns, with further lawns to the front with the Listed gateway dated 1585.